November 3, 2013
It’s fall!!! Apples are the most fresh and delicious around this time. Farmer’s markets are occupied by various kinds of apples: Golden Delicious, Rome, Empire, Honeycrisp, etc… A lot of people also go to apple picking at nearby farms. An apple a day keeps a doctor away. However, when you eat an apple every day for 2 weeks, you might get a bit “sick of it”. Other than enjoying fresh apples, some might make apple pie, applesauce or some sort of baked goods. How about apple crisps on hearty granola?
1 medium apple, thinly sliced (use mandoline or knife)
2 egg whites
3 cups dried oatmeal
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup almonds, sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries
1. Preheat oven to 250F.
2. Spread sliced apples on a large baking sheet with parchment paper, then bake for 45 minutes.
3. At 30-minute of baking, lightly whisk egg whites in a large mixing bowl until frothy. Add the rest of ingredients except dried cranberries/cherries.
4. Spread granola on to another large baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Place baking sheet with apples to the lower rack and place baking sheet with granola on top rack. Bake for 45 minutes at 250F.
6. Remove baking sheets from oven. Let sliced apples cool on baking sheet. Increase oven temperature to 300F.
7. Stir granola on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 300F.
8. Mix granola and slice apples together when cooled down.
Enjoy this hearty granola with milk, yogurt or even toss it in salad.